Law School & Graduate Ceremonies May 10,
Undergraduate Ceremony May 11
SPOKANE, Wash. – Washington state Supreme Court Chief Justice Barbara Madsen, a Gonzaga University School of Law alumna (’77), will be the keynote speaker at the Law School commencement, starting at 9:15 a.m., Saturday, May 10 at the McCarthey Athletic Center. The ceremony kicks off Gonzaga’s three 121st commencement exercises May 10-11.
Sister Joan Saalfeld, SNJM, vice president of mission integration at Marylhurst University (near Portland, Ore.), will be the keynote speaker at the graduate ceremony, starting at 4:40 p.m. in the McCarthey Athletic Center. Sharon Daloz Parks, director of Leadership for the New Commons, an initiative of the Whidbey Institute, will address undergraduates in a ceremony starting at 9:35 a.m., Sunday, May 11 in the Spokane Arena.
Second-Largest Class Ever
The University expects to confer a total of 2,280 undergraduate, graduate and law degrees – its second-largest class ever with 69 fewer graduates than its all-time record-large class of 2,349 graduates in 2013. Gonzaga expects to confer 1,159 bachelor’s degrees (off from 1,306 in 2013), 948 master’s degrees (up from 863 in 2013), 11 doctorates (off from 19 in 2013), and 162 law degrees (up 1 from 2013).
Other Gonzaga Commencement Events ~ MAY 9-10
- SOCIAL JUSTICE MISSIONING CEREMONY: 4 p.m., May 9, in University Chapel (third floor of College Hall). Honors seniors embarking on volunteer work; guests welcome.
- ROTC COMMISSIONING CEREMONY: 5:15 p.m., May 9, St. Aloysius Church; guests welcome.
- SCHOOL OF LAW COMMENCEMENT MASS: 5:30 p.m., May 9, University Chapel.
- SENIOR DESSERT SOCIAL: 7-10 p.m., May 9 at Gonzaga’s off-campus Bozarth Mansion and Retreat Center. Gonzaga seniors and their guests are invited.
- PRESIDENTIAL RECEPTION & TOAST TO SENIORS: 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., May 10, Martin Centre Fieldhouse.
- UNDERGRADUATE, GRADUATE COMMENCEMENT MASS: 1:30 p.m., May 10, McCarthey Athletic Center. People of all faiths are welcome.
For more information, visit Gonzaga’s Commencement Weekend.